Tuesday, September 26, 2017

So...here we go!  I've had so many people ask questions about what MALS is and many more asked to be kept in the loop as I undergo surgery and move through recovery to start life 2.0.  I thought this would be an easy way for people to follow along on the journey with me and maybe help other people who will also enjoy this journey.  

The story up to today is a long one, so I will share a little at a time.  


Last November I was diagnosed with Median Arcuate Ligament Syndrome (which also goes by several other names, including: Celiac Artery Compression Syndrome, Celiac Axis Syndrome, Celiac Trunk Compression, and Dunbar Syndrome).  The wikipedia definition says:  is a condition characterized by abdominal pain attributed to compression of the celiac artery and possibly the celiac ganglia by the median arcuate ligament.  What this means in my words is the ligament which sits just below the diaphragm sits too low in the body and squeezes the Celiac Artery, reducing blood flow to the organs it supplies (liverstomach, abdominal esophagusspleen and the superior half of both the duodenum and the pancreas) and squeezing the Celiac Ganglia of nerves.  


Next Tuesday, October 3rd, I will under go surgery to address this issue.  It will be an open celiac artery reconstruction with ligament division and nerve removal...which means they will cut me open, cut away the ligament, remove the nerves and address any issues with the artery (stent, bypass, or leave it alone if it seems to be recovering on its own).  I've been told the surgery recovery is similar to open heart surgery, so it's intense.  I've also been advised it will take my body around a year to fully heal.  The instant returned blood flow to all of these organs will be a shock and they will all have to work their way through it.  Each of the organs can effect the way the others work, so they will all have to learn to work together again as well.  


Most of what I've learned about MALS has been through facebook groups of those who also have been diagnosed with MALS or their family members.  They have shared links to studies, uploaded documents, shared experiences, been brutally honest and open.  Many parts of MALS, as well as steps in the healing process, typically fall under the TMI category, but we share them anyway because it helps.  I have always been a very private person, but I will strive to let down my walls through this process and share things here I normally wouldn't discuss with people.  Think about what your digestive tract does, think about how it behaves with you're sick...MALS patients are typically experiencing a majority of those symptoms on a daily basis.  It's not pretty y'all!  So, if you plan to follow along on my journey please brace yourself for the most delicate version of the whole story I can come up with.  


I believe everything happens for a reason.  I'm hoping the reason I'm going through all of this is to help at least one person on their journey.  


Thanks for following along!

No comments:

Post a Comment